Doing my bit
With over 40 kilometres of easily accessible unspoilt beaches, Kāpiti is the envy of many regions.
Our beaches are important community assets and we need your help to maintain their natural beauty and to keep them safe and clean for everyone to enjoy now and in generations to come.
1. Reduce your rubbish by taking fewer (or no) single-use plastics to the beach, or - even better - use reusable containers instead that you can take home with you when you leave.
2. Always bring bin bags or a reusable bag to put rubbish in so that you can take any rubbish with you when you leave the beach.
3. If the beach bin is full, don't leave your rubbish by the side or on top of it - the rubbish could blow into the sea or pollute your beach. Take it home with you and put it in your bin.
4. If you smoke, take your cigarette butts with you - don't bury them in the sand for others to find.
5. Pick up your dog's poo and bin it.
6. Know where and when you can drink alcohol on Kāpiti's beaches - it changes with the seasons. Please dispose of any glass or take it with you.
7. To get to your beach, only use the marked public tracks with blue posts.
8. Take only photos, leave only footprints - and enter our #lovemybeach photo contest!